Friday, January 08, 2010

Review : Asus Eee PC - Windows 7 Starter

A friend of mine, has started to suffer from bad back problems due to the mass required books for university. One of her solutions was to invest in a netbook. She bought the Asus Eee PC preinstalled with 'Windows7 Starter'. I was asked to prepare the system for University, which gave me an opportunity to experience Windows7, so here is my first thoughts.


Issues

Updates
Took an age to install updates and it felt like it took half a day.

Preinstalled Trial Software
Be prepared to uninstall individually. I have to still to look at the recovery CD, yet initially there does not seems to be a mass uninstall for trial software.

Uninstalling the MS Office 2007 (roughly 7 packages, including language packs) and replacing it with 2003 wasn't nice :/ Crashed on one of the uninstalls.

You are automatically suggested to start using this trial security software Micro Trends. Also Microsoft doesn't seem to let you know that you can install "Microsoft Security Esstentials". Can't be that important huh :-p

Final Thoughts
Love the hardware, welldone Intel and Asus and an extend applause to the creators of "One Laptop per Child" for initiating the idea of cheaper more energy efficient laptops. As for Windows7 solution for pre-installed software.... It took an age to clean up the pre-installed os. "Purple Place" game was probably the only happy experience whilst updating Windows7. Oh it was a pleasure of using the Eee PC too ^^, the keyboard felt just right and nice, the hardware is nice and compact with little noise. The networking was a breeze too with sharing devices to install software, I can't say the same for wireless networking between machines.

Seriously....It is by far quicker to install XP or Ubuntu and I am sure Mac is also quicker. Yet once set up it does appear kinda smoother than Vista. Also have noticed of less message anoying periodic warnings. I must admit I did like the "Pin and Unpin" wording for the task bar/dock system and the window desk spliting (By dragging the windows to the left and right of the screen).

I have a feeling setting up Windows7 would be quicker if you just completely re-install it. I could be wrong as I wasn't impressed with the speed of the updates. Spent half a day just installing updates.

Try and avoid the "Pre-installed" Windows7 and buy it seperately if you can. It may be expensive yet in the long run you may save time, money on electricity. Hopefully you be able to bypass alot of uninstalling of unnessary trial software. Oh and by the way, it takes an age to uninstall also :/ Took from 12pm till 8:30pm to clean up this Win7 pre-install :/ ....You know what I am going to say now...."avoid Windows7 if you can". Yet overall once fully cleaned/patched it does run smooth.

While I'm at it, I wish Adobe stop with this "Install McAffee Free Scan Trial Request" warning crap!!!!! What Adobe are entering the security market now?! My brain has turned to mush after this epic "Netbook Win7 clean up and install of required software"....[kookoo Baaahhahaaa /me blows raspberry QWERTYT$"%£$%^& So err you think Windows8 will be rock our world?! I think NOT haha.

End of line.

No comments: