Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wifi and Linux

I knew I had to some research on finding the best WIFI pci card, I was bemused about the question....

Just warning this article babbles about me moaning about the various Linux hardware compatibly pages scattered about the Internet.

How I found a good WIFI card
There is so many out there even trying to surf the latest "Hardware compatibility List" was a little tormenting. Browsing Ubuntu Community WiFI Hardware List didn't help show the makes properly that was good. Well it was nice to see what worked and what didn't I guess. I eventually found one via a site that done some home work for me already.

Linux Emporium : Done homework already and have supposedly found the official BEST tested wifi hardware. See below for link

I have seen sites where you could see if a device was fully implemented or shows how much of of a driver has been implemented more friendlier than that. Yet you had to know the "Kernel Driver Module Name" to begin with.

I Eventually bought a
"EDiMAX Wireless 802.11b/g Turbo Mode PCI Adapter"
Once plugged in, it worked with Ubuntu.

What is also cool is that I can buy an antenna (EA-IO5D or EA-ID6D) that can increase wireless coverage later :)


When I typed, "lspci" in a Terminal it shows
Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
So it was wierd seeing "RaLink" instead of "EDiMAX" yet I was happy I was able to see wireless networks atleast :) Most probably the name of the chip really which is very understandable :)

Final Thoughts
I guess I am crying for a better managed view of Kernel drivers and easily browseable via hardware names in some way rather than having to do the complex kernel compiling just to see or even browse a list.... I know the HCL is there yet it be nice to see that more easily visible and bigger letters and not too techi looking (Not that I'm a noob in Linux).

The kernel's offical site should show their work more nicely someday yet I know their priority is to just get hardware working and worry about the fancy looks later. Touch wood Ubuntu Community may pick this up somehow.... hmmm

I know Linux is designed to you shouldn't have to worry about hardware yet I know it could you need to see how things are getting on when you want to try new hardware.

Merge all them hardware compatiability sites together into one somehow ... Us Linux users WE ALL USE THE SAME LATEST LINUX right!? right!?... I know I know I just google the question and figure out it out.

Don't get me wrong, I luv Linux. Patience is a virtue and things that been in the planning and still being thought out, will eventually break through.

Further Reading

Linux Emporium : Linux Compatible Wireless Devices

No comments: