Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ubuntu Upgrade : 8.10 to 9.04

Please bare in mind I have upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10, and after years of waiting for 9.04 to mature, I Forced open the" distribution update button" to allow the major upgrade from 8 to 9.

I believe ideally you should have a clean install between major version releases. Well I thought I'd just keep pressing that nice "Distribution Update" button and see how things go. Here is my findings :)

Oh the Issues also include things after reseting my user account to have fresh configs

During the Upgrade
I allowed it to remove all the software it requested and upgraded all configs
.

Issues I had

Kate (KDE Text Editor) - Got uninstalled
Konqueror Settings - Go changed
Apache2 - Got uninstalled
PHP5 and PHP5 modules - Was uninstalled.
CheckGmail - Got uninstalled
VLC - Turned wierd on me (It had an alpha version or something)
Bluetooth - Stopped working (Fresh new account issue)

Resolutions
Using "Synaptic Pacakge Manager" I did the following:

First I had install the missing software.

To get bluetooth working properly again, I re-installed "bluetooth" and "bluez" packages.

Free Up Space
Thanks to a new feature of Ubuntu 9.04, "Computer Janitor" is a cool program which I can gambled everything and saved up 1gig of space :)

VLC
Had to start using "ppa" system. Instructions and updating is here.
Still have problems with it (Hopefully they will get fixed again)
For now I have Installed Totem Movie Player (powered by xine).

Konqueror
I had to update the extension handling for ".html" to have "kate" as the primary application.
Verified and corrected my Konqueror settings.

Apache2
To get PHP5 working yet again, I had to run in a terminal
sudo a2enmod php5

No comments: