Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Granddaughter broke my Linux box

Me and my wife was looking after our 9 month old granddaughter. We let the baby actually move the mouse and play with the keyboard.

My SUSE 10.1 Linux box was fully booted and uses KDE's GUI Manager. we let our granddaughter play with Linux box. TAP TAP TAP, nudge the mouse a little, CLICK CLICK CLICK, maybe some more tapping at the the keyboard. Then hell broke loose on KDE

Somehow she managed to permanently move the task bar to the left side and rendered the KDE's menu button to not work. I Tried to change KDE's Task bar settings to place the task bar back to it's original location, that failed :(

After a little think on how to fix the KDE without trying to destroy my profile, I decided to let KDE make me a new set of settings by renaming the .kde/ .kderc/ folders and let KDE fix it self. After a restart KDE is now fixed :D

I felt sheepish knowing that a baby managed to corrupt KDE with VERY little effort.

No comments: